Monday, April 4, 2011

Have you heard of K-12 online learning?

Just a few days ago, I saw a TV commercial about K-12 .com online learning. Have you ever seen an advertisement about a school on TV? Well, it was new for me and very timely considering the original topic of my blog. Even though I have brought up other ideas or concerns, we are still participating in a form or online learning each time we post information. Anyway, K-12 is an example of a successful online learning opportunity for students and has a great success rating by both parents and students. Here is a quote from one of the articles that I will provide a link for.

"Online learning through virtual schools is one of the most important advancements in attempting to rethink the effectiveness of education in the United States. The virtual school provides access to online, collaborative and self-paced learning environments—settings that can facilitate 21st-century skills. Today’s students must be able to combine these skills with the effective use of technology to succeed in current and future jobs."

I also thought that this comparison was interesting:

"the operating costs of online programs are about the same as the operating costs of a regular brick and mortar school." The report found:

"For a full-time program, results from the panel suggest that costs range from about $7,200 to about $8,300 per FTE… Full-time programs can be more expensive than those serving students on a supplemental basis because these schools are typically responsible for special needs students and for adhering to state and federal accountability requirements (including granting credits, testing students, making AYP, etc.). In addition, local virtual schools are more likely than state virtual schools to provide computers and Internet connectivity for their students, which can result in higher costs per pupil."

Check out the links below for more information about the K-12.com and some positive research.

K-12.com press information

K-12.com online learning


8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I have heard of this on one occassion. A preschool around my neighborhood had their first ever Kindergarten program using this concept. The students did their assigned work for the week with the guidance and assistance of the pre-schools' "teachers". Then about twice a week, a licensed teacher comes and checks the students work and provides guidance to the other "teachers". I know they use this K-12 online learning. Personally, I don't like that type of education. I feel it leaves too much room for errors and missed opportunities for teaching. Maybe in Kinder it's not too big of a deal, but I think as you get higher in grade level, the impact will be greater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen the commercial many times, and to be honest I have thought about looking into it for teaching. I would love to teach in my pjs!!

    I'm not sure how well learning online would be for students thoguh. You do need some social interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son took a PE/Health class online a couple of summers ago. It was great and he learned so much. He had to wear a monitor for the PE part.

    As a science teacher, I wouldn't want the kids to do everything virtually, especially for a lab class, and especially if the student was looking to major in a science field. Would you want your doctor to be educated with virtual surgeries?

    I thing many kids would do well with a hybrid method. They couuld go to a real classroom Monday and Wednesday OR Tuesday and Thursday, then work on the other material online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe some subjects will adapt well to an online format, and others do not. Therefore, I agree with Twila in that a hybrid method will be most effictive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my area there is a Virtual Academy which is just that...a K-12 online school where students attend classes in the same stle and manner we do at Lesley. The students are required to complete assignments and join discussion boards. Is this the best solution for students of that age? Not entirely. This needs to be a determining factor that is done with parents and a local school administration. Is the student in question just trying to not attend school. So many factors need to be looked at in order to make these decisions. I do believe this is where we are going and can definitely see the benefits of online learning. I personally was very skeptical of getting my degree online, but now more than half way through the progam, I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband works from home on Fridays, and there have many times when I said that I wish I had the option to work from home. It would be nice to teach without having to travel 45 miles and pay a $5 toll everyday. However, I think it's important for kids to acquire social skills and be around their peers, which is something that virtual schools won't be able to provide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A student from my 7th grade social studies class started the Georgia virtual school in December. I saw her in February and she loves it. I think as a parent I wouldn't mind my daughter participating in some virtual classes and attending school for the science labs and occasional face to face meeting.
    I also met a teacher a few years ago who teachers with the Georgia Virtual school. She loves it. I plan to look into teaching virtually when I retire in a few years.
    I had not idea that virtual schools cost about the same as the traditional schools. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems that many of us agree that the hybrid method offers the best of both worlds. Some classes work better online than others and possibly the older the student, the more online coursework options they can handle. There still needs to be some socialization time offered for the younger students. Therefore, having some days of actual teacher/student face time is important.

    ReplyDelete